Regular Computer Maintenance - The Recurring Computer Todo List
Here's the standard list of what you need to do to keep your computer at optimum health:
- Updating Operating system with any new patches
- Update software, especially anything that touches the internet like:
- Web Browser
- PDF Reading software
- Email software
Weekly to Monthly
- Check preconfigured backups are working
- Check for critical Windows Events in the System Log (Disk errors, repeatedly crashing programs. Frequently a computer will give you warning signs that something is failing. It's always better to be prepared)
- Update all other software including but not limited to:
- Word Processors
Every 1-3 Months
- Run HDD Surface Scan (fixing recoverable HDD errors before they become unrecoverable problems)
If you'd like me to do it for you I do all of the above, and also:
- Computer optimization for speed (removing unnecessary: software, browser toolbars, browser addons/extensions)
- Checking for signs of viruses/spyware
- Check for problems in the Event Viewer
- 25+ years of experience on the lookout for things that "aren't right"
Buying a new computer
Last updated 7/17/2017 Picking out a laptop in the sea of options can be tricky. Here's my tips to limit the choices and find one: Information/Decisions to put together (print this to help) Existing amount of stored data (Right click c: drive on ...
David's 3 Rules to Staying Safe on a Computer
Here's David’s 3 rules of staying safe on a computer. It's my attempt at distilling my 25+ years of experience and knowledge down into some simple rules to live by in the digital realm. Rule Number 1: Keep all software patched and up to date ...
Enhancing your Computer Efficiency - Highlighting and Clipboard Cut/Copy/Paste
About the most valuable lessons you can ever learn about your computer is highlighting and copy/cut/paste. If there's nothing else that you take with you, that's the most important thing I could ever teach you. It'll literally save days of your life ...
Your Digital Life Checklist
Do you know? David's 3 Rules to Staying safe - Everyone should know this https://www.davidthegeek.com/portal/kb/articles/david-s-3-rules-to-staying-safe-on-a-computer 5 Passwords of Life - How to deal with passwords safely/easily ...
New Computer Setup process
Stage 1 Takes 10-15mins Plug in power and everything else EXCEPT the network cable Call me. I'll walk you thru the initial setup Stage 2 Give me a couple hours to prep the system, run updates, remove the crap and get the base software installed ...